Monday 23 July 2018

Welcome to Term 3

Hi Team and welcome back to Term 3. Hopefully you've managed to spend some time family time with your children. I managed to sneak away for 4 days to Rotorua with the family, which was lovely.

This term we hit the ground running with our flexible timetable, everyone knows how it works so we should be straight into it. I've made a few tweaks to things so that I've got my eye on those that like to fly under the radar.

Other than the usual maths, reading and writing, we will be starting a unit looking into our local area and our Maori connections. We are all New Zealanders, so it's important we know the history of the area from both a Maori and Pakeha perspective. We will also be carrying out some small science experiments as a way of looking at writing procedures and information texts. It will also help us to learn scientific vocabulary and scientific processes.

Our Year 7/8 sports exchanges begin this term. At this stage I have no information about this tournament, but I will let everyone know as soon as I know.

We also have Speech Board this term. We won't be starting our work on this until a bit later in the term. But it's time to start thinking about a topic. I will give the children more information about this during the first week back.

Cross Country is also on this term. So we will be running as often as possible. We are changing up the track this year to make it more 'country' which will be great. If your child is unable to practice running please send a note. If I don't have notes I can never be sure what injuries are real and what injuries are because of cross country!

Science Fair projects should be well under way for those that entered. They need to be finished by the end of next week. There will be time to work on them in class but they need to be right into it already or they won't finish in time. If there is a parent available to help put the boards together at some stage this week, I would love to hear from you.  On Wednesday of week 3 the Year 7/8 and 6's will be travelling to New Plymouth to view the Science Fair. We are trying to set up another activity to complete while we are in New Plymouth. I will advise when this is sorted.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment